The North Bend Eagle

 

Lutheran church to celebrate 75 years

by Mary Le Arneal
Published 8/22/18

Lutherans have a had a presence in North Bend since 1894, but the congregation of St. Peter Lutheran was not organized until 1943 when it became a joint parish with the Schuyler church. The congregation originally met in the Christian Church, the North Bend library and the H.H. Sellhorn Funeral Home buildings until building their own in 1945. Building material came from a closed church northeast of Schuyler that the members dismantled and reconstructed in North Bend on 10th and Maple. Later the church was added to using the lumber from the closed Webster Hall.

In 1957 the church separated from the Schuyler church becoming an independent congregation.

In 1988 a new building was deemed necessary. The Labor for Christ organization and members of the local congregation built a new church building on the west edge of North Bend, dedicating it Dec. 3, 1989.

This year the St. Peter Congregation is celebrating 75 years of its North Bend presence on Sunday, Sept. 3.

The day will begin with a special service at 10:30 a.m. Rev. Calvin L’Heureux, former minister and presently interim minister, and district pastor Rev. Bruce Schut of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Scribner will be speaking.

A meal will be served afterwards. Former parishioners or guests are asked to call the church, 402-652-8215, with numbers to help plan the meal.

At 2 p.m. there will be an open house with the community invited. There will be special displays, video of the church being built, refreshments and fellowship. All are invited.

 

<<Back to the front page