The North Bend Eagle

 

City applies for federal trail-building grant

by Nathan Arneal
Published 11/4/15

North Bend may get a bike trail connecting the town’s parks if it is successful in its application for federal funding.

At its Oct. 20 meeting the city council decided to apply for funds through the Federal-aid Transportation Alternative Program. The program would pay 80 percent of the trail’s cost while the city picks up the remaining 20 percent.

While the route of the trail will be determined at a later date, it would likely connect the current bike and walking trails of the Franklin-Cotterell Greens arboretum at the high school to the city park.

One possibility discussed at the meeting had the trail running along the north edge of town where it would just cross just one street, Highway 30. The possibility of tying in the library with a trail was also discussed, as was including the cost of lighting the trail in the application.

“It would be a good way for kids to across town on their bikes without crossing a bunch of streets,” councilman Tom Mullally said.

 

<<Back to the front page