Click to see this week's specials at the North Bend Mini Mart!

The North Bend Eagle


 

North Bend United Presbyterian Church
Attendees of Sunday's service gather for a picture afterwards.

Presbyterians mark 150 years

by Nathan Arneal
Published 7/20/11

The North Bend United Presbyterian Church celebrated its 150th birthday during church services Sunday [July 17, 2011].

After a few years of being served by a traveling circuit of missionaries, North Bend Presbyterians organized their own congregation on July 19, 1861. Services were held in a school house a mile west of town.

Windows of the UPCWindows like this one had brass name plates attached to identify the person memorialized by their initials. Most of these windows had been in the church since 1888.

In 1869 the congregation built its first church at 8th and Main. Shortly thereafter, in 1878, Rev. David Inches was installed as the church’s first permanent pastor. In 1888 a new church was built on Inches’ land at 9th and Chestnut on what is now an empty lot south of the current Presbyterian Church. That building housed the congregation until 1965, when the current church was built across the alley from the old church at 10th and Chestnut.

When the new church was built, several monogrammed stained glass windows were moved over from the old church. These windows, the majority of which date back to 1888, feature the initials of a former church member.

At Sunday’s service, deacon Nathan Arneal gave a history of the people memorialized by the windows. The church deacons also marked each window with a brass name plate that was installed in time for the 150th celebration.

In his sermon, pastor Neal Allen talked about how North Bend’s church was the fourth oldest Presbyterian church in the state and shared some of his findings from reading the minutes of the church’s earliest session meetings.

Kris Peterson, the congregational resource coordinator for the Homestead Presbytery, presented the congregation with a certificate congratulating it on 150 years of service to the North Bend community.

Following the service, church members enjoyed a catered meal in the fellowship hall.

<<Back to the front page