The North Bend Eagle


Miracle baby brings special meaning to Christmas

by Mary Le Arneal
Published 12/21/11

Lydia Grace Moser’s family, mom Kristen, dad Tony, celebrated her half birthday Tuesday with the day’s usual celebration of Lydia. The fact that they are able to celebrate her birth, her life, is a miracle in itself.

Born four months too soon, Lydia weighed 15.7 ounces at birth. She is now up to a whopping six pounds, every ounce a celebration in itself.

This was Kristin’s first pregnancy with a due date of Oct. 7, and for the first few months, she enjoyed a textbook-perfect pregnancy. A hair stylist, Kristin noticed her feet swelling, but attributed that to working on her feet all the time. Husband Tony was a little more concerned. He encouraged Kristin to have his mother, Caryn, check her blood pressure. It was elevated.

Krisitin called her doctor the next morning and was told to come immediately to the doctor’s office. She called Tony at work, but he didn’t think he could get off. When his boss, Jim Coen, saw that he was worried about something and Tony explained the situation, Coen told him to go. He didn’t return to work for two weeks.

Kristin had a full day of appointments, but her boss, Autumn Bourek, didn’t hesitate and told her not to worry, they would take care of her clients.

Kristin was admitted to St. Elizabeth Medical Center at 23 weeks, 6 days gestation. Attempts to get her blood pressure down did not work and the baby’s heart rate started dropping.

“Then the goal was to keep me pregnant for one more day,” Kristen said.

She was given medication to help the baby’s lungs mature, increasing the baby’s chance of survival from 15 to 60 percent.

On June 20, at 24 weeks, 3 days gestation, Lydia Grace Moser arrived in the world. Her lungs were still underdeveloped and she continued on medication to improve the strength of her lungs.

Born the day after Father’s Day, Lydia’s 1.75 inch foot print was put on a neck tie for her father.

The Mosers knew they were in for the long haul with Lydia in Lincoln. Kristin stayed with her parents, Deb and Tom Nyhoff, 30 minutes south of Lincoln. Tony worked his schedule, but saw Lydia every day except Thursdays. Some days he had to get up at 3:30 a.m. to spend a little time with her before leaving for work.

Kristin was with her daughter every day, watching her struggle to breathe and eat.

“Her lungs were the biggest issue we were concerned about,” Kristin said. “She may have to battle with this the rest of her life, or until she is 3. There is no way of predicting if they will reach their full potential or what we will have to deal with.”

Lydia had a feeding tube for the first few months, then it was a bottle and feeding tube. One of the criteria for her going home was to go five days without the feeding tube.

“She finally picked it up and once she got going she was good to go,” Kristin said.

Weight was slow to come and Lydia seemed to enjoy her peaks.

“She reached three pounds and seemed to stay there for a while.”

Going home was determined by Lydia being able to go five days without any alarms from the many machines she was attached to and eating seven bottles (one and a half ounces each) a day. Finally on Nov. 30, at 5 months, 10 days and weighing 5 pounds, 10 ounces, Lydia Grace came home to North Bend. Her parents say that they never once thought they would not bring her home.

Lydia and her parents continue to make frequent trips to Lincoln to see her many doctors, but her parents are happy to make the trips if it means health for Lydia.

“God was always with us in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit),” Kristin said. “He was very much a part of Lydia’s fight. We know this journey would have been so much more difficult without all the prayers from our friends, the community and even people we don’t know.”

At home now, the Mosers wake her up at midnight and 4 a.m. to feed her. She continues on oxygen and has a couple monitors. Because her immune system is still immature, Lydia’s only outings are to her doctor appointments. But the Mosers are happy to be home.

“We feel blessed,” said Tony. “My dad always said you don’t have to look far to find someone worse off than you. Lydia is a blessing, not a hardship.”

Christmas will be memorable for the Moser family.

“It’s hard to put in words how special it is to all be home together for Christmas,” Kristen said. “We received a miracle this year by having Lydia home with us.”

<<Back to the front page